Thursday, March 28, 2013

How To Make Hummingbird Food~


I am mixing up a batch so I thought I would re post this ~ maybe it will encourage them to return!

I have fallen in love with hummingbirds. I am mesmerized by their little motors~ I could sit and watch them for hours. This Spring we had so many it seemed they were at the feeder all day long. As the summer rolled along they became scarce ~ after all the flowers were in bloom. They had buffets all over the place. Well due to the drought conditions I think their well has run dry. They are frantically looking for food.

I like to create all I can from my well stocked pantry so today I am giving this Amish homemade Hummingbird  recipe a try. It cost pennies verses the store bought stuff. I will keep you updated just what my feathered birds on steroids think of it.

 I am hoping to enjoy them a bit longer before they migrate for the winter.


Hummingbird Food~
 3:1 Ratio

2 cups sugar
6 cups water


Place sugar and water in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 6 minutes. Watch and stir often so the syrup does not boil over. Remove from stove and let cool to room temperature.  Easy as 1-2-3.

2 comments:

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I've made this before! I can't remember how long it keeps in the refrigerator...do you remember?

This would make a good post to link up to my Pinned it, Made it! Monday....it could be on Pinterest! :)

Have a great day, Carrie!
Tammy

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I make it all the time, tho my instructions are a bit different. LOVE the bumble birds! It is important to scrub out the feeders every time you are going to add new food. If it is wicked hot out, it should be changed at least once a week. Bzzzzt. Bzzzt.!!!!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details