Monday, September 10, 2012

Farming On Faith's Candle Recipe~





I just love Fall! Each year at this time I start making candles. Saturday I had Frosted Pumpkin, Cranberry~Orange, Maple Sugar, Grandma's Clothesline, Hot Apple Pie, Apple Jack-n-Peel and a few others brewing. My house smelled heavenly.

My candle making started one year at J.C. Penneys. I bought my sister an Apple Jack candle in a small jelly jar. It is still my favorite scent to this day. I paid $12.00 and that was about 17 years ago. I said to myself, " I bet you can figure this out." I did research upon research. It was not as easy as today. I had a hard time getting wholesale prices. I also had a hard time figuring it out. In those days I would buy paraffin and mix my own concoctions until it was the nice consistency I wanted with a good scent. It consisted of Crisco, vybar, chevron's white cream and many others. Of course~ that was before we all went more green~ha!

Today it is easy~ peasy to make your own candles. Here is my simple recipe!

I buy all my ingredients from Nature's Garden Candle Supply on the internet. They have the most wonderful blends of waxes already mixed for you. Shipping is high but it is still cheaper than buying candle.  I have sold them, given them as gifts and even done some fund raisers.


Although I have tried many different waxes from Soy to Joy ~ I really like the WOW wax.

Natures Garden Wholesale Candle Supply
1-866-647-2368

***Beware ~wax does not boil. It turns to flame and many kitchens have burned down making candles. Follow the recipe of the manufacturer to insure safety and best results. I do not claim to be a expert~ this is just my recipe.***

Measure the bottom of your container lengthwise and then decide which size wick to use. This is important for your candle to burn properly. Each wax type uses different wicks. The Wow wax requires zinc core wicks. The soy wax works best with HTP wicks. 

Wow Wax Candle Recipe~

  • ·          Heat wax in a double boiler or wax pouring pitcher. Heat on medium heat until wax reaches 190 degrees. Add candle color. (I use the color blocks and slice small slivers with a sharp knife to desired color. Do a color check on a paper towel and remember it always dries a lighter color.)


  • ·          Remove from heat and allow wax to cool to 180-170 degrees.


  • ·          After the wax has cooled to this temp~ add your scent. (One ounce of scent per one pound of oil)





I made some little wax chunks for candle warmers using these art paint pallets. They are really inexpensive and worked great. I wiped each little circle with a little olive oil to keep them from sticking and they popped right out after they set.










3 comments:

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Hi Carrie,
I've been making soy candles in teacups to go on my stall at the markets along with my vintage cake stands. They are very popular and at a recent craft fair one lady bought almost all the candles I had made for her daughter's wedding so I'll be making some more today! I don't use any dyes because I think the teacups look best with a pure white candle inside them. I only use pure essential oils and no artificial fragrances. I have a candle in a pretty teacup which came from a candle shop. It is purple and scented - it is quite overpowering. I have scraped out the wax and will refill it with my own blend. What I love about candles in containers is that the wax cannot drip onto your table. I wish I had discovered them years ago. I have a few busy months ahead as this little business is taking off. I had my first tea party last weekend. I worked in with a girl who does catering and I hired her the cake stands, teacups, tablecloths etc and we set it up together. I also took along a couple of candles in the teacups - they looked so pretty on the table. It was a lot of fun and we are now going to work together for other events.

Joyce Greeson said...

Wonderful! You surely did your research so fine, girl… The supplies could be really less expensive, you know. So it would be better to make them! I’m glad you were also able to put up a business out of this. Good luck and keep up making amazing candles. This one in your tutorial is sweet!

Sandra said...

I have never made candles, but I want to try it. I'm going to keep this recipe and make some myself.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details