Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Where Does All That Dust Come From?





Each morning when I get up the sun peaks over the trees in my backyard filling my kitchen with a sunny glow. It is a nice warmth that greets me each morning. My kitchen has windows all along the eastern side facing my backyard. I start the coffee and just as the sun starts peeking at me through the trees I begin to see every speck of dust on my counter and my wood floor. So each morning I sweep the floor and dust the counters~ every single morning. Many mornings I have to give it all a swiffering.

Surely I am not the only one that does this. My type- A personality can't stand seeing tiny or not so tiny dust particles anywhere. It really does not not take me too long but it is my morning routine while the coffee is brewing. I have been tempted to put up blinds and turn a blind eye to it a time or two......but please don't tell anybody!

Are those tiny dust particles just waiting for me to finish to replant themselves to pester me or are they always there and only come to light in view of that bright shinning light? (sorry about the run-on sentence but it just fits)

As I was doing my crazy dusting job once again this morning I begin to think about my life. Today marks the one year anniversary of my father's death. He was planning on a fishing trip but instead he took the trip of a lifetime. This year has revealed much to me. As always when someone dies we are reminded once again just how short life truly is. There were many hard days this past year but God used troubles and trial in my life to reveal some dusty particles of dirt in my heart and soul. It has been the hardest year of my life~ I still have not stopped crying.

We think we are doing so well in our Christian walk. I mean we dress right, read our Bible and attend church. We become real good at being a "christian." (in our eyes anyway)  We know all the verses and can finish the preacher's sermon.

Yet~ what about when we compete as women ~ have envy or jealousy? How about when we are strong-willed and try to control and manipulate to get our own way? How about when we judge other people? How about when we have an acid tongue and wound people?  After all~ we have a right to express ourselves~ or do we? How about when we go to church and smile to only go home and devour  our fellow brothers and sisters in the family of God?   How about when we discipline our children out of anger and frustration while ignoring the fact that almighty God in Heaven sure gives us grace an mercy. How about our selfishness? When it is more important to have and buy than to sacrifice for a need on the mission field? How about when we are greedy and only give God what is left over in our time, money and devotion?

You see every day I wake up I have dust particles in my heart and soul and they need a good swiffering. We either allow God to do some dusting in our lives or we pull the blinds and turn a blind eye.

We just moved my mother and the new house has set empty for several years. Yet~ there is still dust,  the carpets need cleaned, the windows need cleaned~well it all needs a good scrubbing. You know what? The dust just piles thicker and thicker if we ignore it.  So it is in our spiritual life~after time we have hardened our heart all while looking good on the outside.

Have you had a good swiffering today?


7 comments:

Camille said...

Love this post my friend! So sorry for the loss of your Dad. So thankful that the LORD is with us all throughout this journey. May HE continually give you HIS peace and presence! I appreciated your words today...yes, dusting is always needed in this here heart. :)

Many Blessings to you!
Camille

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I'm so guilty of dust accumulating around here especially on the blinds and ceiling fans. Did you know you can disguise the dust by keeping the ceiling fans on? lol!

Very good analogy about the dust and our spiritual lives.....it's so true! It will all pile up in our lives the same way! Great post, Carrie!

Blessings,
Tammy

NanaNor's said...

Hi, I am so sorry about what a hard year its been for you; I well remember wondering if I was ever going to wake up without the ache in my stomach and the world would look right again. It does get a bit easier and time does take away death's sting. Great analogy about the dust-yes I think we all have some.
Sending hugs your way today.
Noreen

Sun Valley Homestead said...

Thank you for this post...and the conviction LOL. Dust has settled on more than just my house do to renos and life...it truly has on my heart. I feel too worn out to do much of anything including prayer...reading my bible...I think the "dust bunnies" have taken over.

Praying for a "swiffer" to enter...that's for sure.

Hugs,
Connie

Patty said...

Needing that daily "spiritual dusting" here also! Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day in the Lord!

Betsy said...

Thank you for this post. It speaks to my heart right now too. I've been doing a study called "He Speaks to Me" about discerning the will of God in my life. Many of the issues you brought up are addressed in this study.

I'll be praying for you as you continue to grieve for your Dad. I don't think we ever stop missing our parents. My mom has been gone for over 20 years and I still miss her every day. It's nice to know I have a heavenly Father who loves me even more than she did and I can talk to him anytime.

Blessings,

Betsy

living from glory to glory said...

Thanks for your comment on my post!! Your the winner LOL your the first comment that was not from my loyal best friend. Dusting never ending job in the spiritual and natural.
Blessings, Roxy Have a great time in Colorado:)

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details