Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Creamy Homemade Laundry Soap~




I have been making homemade Laundry Soap for four years and I have finally mastered a nice creamy~ no more goopy~ watery ~ soap. Here is my new and improved soap recipe.


Farming On Faith's Laundry Soap Cast of Characters~
1 bar of Fels Naptha
1 1/2 cup of Borax
1 1/2 cup of Washing Soda (NOT BAKING SODA)
4 cups of water
          

Easy Directions~
 
1*Grate bar of soap. Put in an old pan and cook with water until completely dissolved on medium heat.



2*Next~ add the Borax and Washing Soda and whisk. It will start to thicken like frosting. Whisk and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. (Use an old pan so you can whisk it good.) It will begin to thicken.


3* Pour the soap in a large mixing bowl and let it cool. This will take a few hours~ whisk it when you think about it. As it cools it will thicken~ a lot. Keep adding small amounts of water as you whisk it until it completely cools and you get the texture you like. Mine resembles cream cheese frosting in texture. Remember this is very concentrated so only use a couple Tablespoons for an HE Washer and maybe 1/4 cup for a regular washing machine. It works wonderful and no more goop!










8 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing, Carrie. I think I have your original recipe too!

jme71 said...

I am going to try this! I went to the powdered detergent because I didn't like the goopy texture of the liquid! Thanks!

Heather said...

That looks really nice...I made a whipped soap but the stuff won't dissolve in my he washer...so I have to dissolve it in hot water first kind of frustrating...maybe I will try this one next time ~Love Heather

Erin said...

This is the same recipe we use, as far as the quantities and ingredients goes. However, we don't cook it all together. So therefore, it 'goopifies' overnight (as it's supposed to), but it gets annoying. We just recently purchased a new front loading washer and dryer, so maybe this would work better. Thank you for sharing, I will pass it on. :D

Anonymous said...

Does anyone who uses homemade laundry soap have a septic. Is it safe for septic? I know the ingredients seem to be safe for septic but, I have never talked to someone who uses homemade laundry soap that has a septic.

Anonymous said...

Yes its ok with the septic, its better for it than the store bought soap.

Anonymous said...

Does it work well for cold water washing

Dawn via The Crispy Sage said...

Hello!

I am preparing to make my first batch tonight, but I'd also like to know how it performs in a cold water setting. I only wash in cold water, so I just want to know if I need to add the soap to hot water before pouring it into the washer or if it works as-is.

Thanks so much!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details