Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sweet Rest ~


I remember when all my children were at home~ tucked safely in bed at night. No matter how long the day I could lay my head down and sleep only after knowing they were all safe and sound. It was one of the most peaceful things to me. 

I remember when our oldest daughter got hitched to the Air Force and moved all the way across the states. I never felt that peace again. In fact~ I cried and cried and worried myself into a tizzy. One by one they have all left but our youngest son. It was the most troublesome thing to me~ not knowing where they were and what they were doing. I know all you mommas know what I mean. 

I have spent a lifetime putting them to bed and as they got older waiting each night until their car pulled into the driveway. 18-20 years of the same routine. Turning out the lights~locking the doors and making the bed check. 
  
No matter how much we think we are prepared for the day they spread their wings and fly~ a momma is just not ready. There is no way to lay down and sleep at night  ~ that is without trusting God. Those first few weeks are the worst. Each day you realize day by day that you have no choice really but to just place them in God's hands and trust Him with your children. 

Before you know it ~ you have grown to a new level of trust in God. 

Psalm 33:13

King James Version (KJV)
13 The Lord looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men.




Then you get a text at o'dark thirty ~this sweet little face is running a fever clear across the country. Gently the Holy Spirit reminds me that I have come a long way in trusting God and that I can trust Him with Livi Lou too!  Now if only I could pour all these 28 years of learning to trust into my sweet daughter.  But as a momma as much as I would like to ~ she has to walk through each of these scary days that her momma and her momma before her walked through until her faith grows too. 

So today once again I have to trust God to help my girl with all these hard lessons He has taught me and pray for my little sweet Olivia to feel better.

Even when things come along that threaten to shake our faith ~ we can have sweet rest when we place it all back in the hands of our Heavenly Father.

Now that is something to celebrate today~ sweet rest!



4 comments:

Sue said...

OH! does this Mama knows exactly what you mean,Carrie, been there done this! I have walked this path and now can say "I am so thankful for this sweet rest."Thanks for sharing a most inspiring post! i will be praying for Olivia!

Tina Leigh said...

I think God has to let me get my back up against the wall in these times! Slowly, like you, I get to a corner & it's then that I realize there is NOTHING I CAN DO but TO TRUST HIM! I don't like it one bit..cuz I want to fix things...NOW! Lol! I'm so glad God is a forgiving God and One that never gives up on His children. I think, in my little mind that I am giving my kids over to Him..then I take them back, and repeat the whole process over & over. But He speaks so patiently to me, reminding me each time that they are His regardless of what I do. Then....I get that Peace...at least until I become the fixer again. He is so good to me and I surely don't know why!
I hope your grand recovers soon. I am tending my fevered grandson today...and I'm thankful.

Betsy said...

Oh my goodness Carrie, I DO know how you feel. I just start "settling in" to the life of trying to put all of my trust in His care of my children when one of them comes home to visit and is out late visiting friends or at a movie...and I'm laying there awake again. Just waiting for the car to pull in the driveway. Some things we never seem to outgrow. :-)
Praying for sweet little Olivia. There are so many "bugs" out there this year.
Blessings,
Betsy

Cheryl Smith said...

Carrie, Mom always told me a mother's love is next to God's love...I never really comprehended the meaning of that until I became a Mama. Now I know. May God bless your sweet little Olivia and restore health to her soon! Love, Cheryl

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details