Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Crock Pot Tamale Pie





It is freezing here in Missouri and the snow has started to blow~ again.

 So I decided to whip up a Tamale Pie. 
I reminds me of my grandpa's recipe~ very yummy!

Filling~
2 cups diced chicken ( Or ground beef or venison)
1 can drained red beans
1 can stewed tomatoes

1 can drained corn (reserve 1/4 cup)
1 small can sliced black olives
1 small can diced green chilies
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Corn Bread Topping~
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg beaten
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup drained canned corn

*Mix together in a bowl. You can use a mix if you prefer.





*Cover and cook on low for about 5-6 hours. When the corn bread on top is cooked it is ready!



7 comments:

Betsy said...

Your Tamale Pie looks delicious. We had lots of snow yesterday, but today the sun is shining. Still too cold for any melting, but it's amazing how happy sunshine makes me!
Blessings,
Betsy

Courtney said...

This looks super yummy!!! Is it possible to cook it in the oven as well?

living from glory to glory said...

Morning Carrie, I am going to try this today; I may tweak it just a bit! I love this idea in the Crockpot! I enjoy also seeing the Spring count down button!
Hope you are well and planning a trip to see those grandbabies soon :o)
Blessings, Roxy

Jen said...

This looks SO delicious! We are getting a lot of snow here in NY as well. Snow I can handle..it's the cold temperatures I really dislike.

Have a great week.

Jen said...

This looks SO delicious! We are getting a lot of snow here in NY as well. Snow I can handle..it's the cold temperatures I really dislike.

Have a great week.

Carolyn said...

Oh my! I love using my crock pot and Mexican food is my favorite! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I plan to try it very soon.

Enjoy your day!

Erin said...

This looks good, I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details