Monday, March 3, 2014

I Think I Need A Day Off~







I have to admit I am one of those people who like to work. I find it really hard to relax. I am working on it ~ truly I am. I get excited when I am productive~ it is fun to me. However, it seems like the older I get  the more I realize there are things more important in life. If we are not careful~while we are working life will pass by us. We may end up getting our list completed but it will be time to say goodbye to those we love and we will miss making so many memories.

I think God had a plan for us workaholics. It is called the Sabbath. We still consider the other 9 commandments worthy of keeping. Like~ killing, stealing, adultery and so on but somehow we think remembering the Sabbath is old-fashioned. I think Jesus gave us an example by taking a day off to rest. In Exodus 20:11 it tells us that God made the world in 6 days and then He rested. 

When I keep up this frantic pace of life 7 days a week I am rejecting God's thoughtful gift~ a day off. Even God gave us this personal example to remind us to slow down long enough to rest~even God rested.


Mark 6:31

 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

I have a friend that is constantly giving me permission to take a day off. Do you need a day off? I am giving you permission to take one~ make it a good one.

4 comments:

Patty Sumner said...

Carrie I so agree with you.. I do believe in the Sabbath... For me and my hubby..being in the ministry...Sunday is always a very busy day for us...He is a chaplain with the federal Bureau of Prisons.. We spent yesterday...in both locations.. the womens camp and then on to the Men's medical facility for services and church in between for me... We were exhausted..His days off are Wednesday and Thursdays. They are usually spent trying to remodel and do all the work that needs to be done here.. so, we are discovering we are not celebrating a day of rest...really convicting.. I also believe that Sunday's are such busy days that they are no longer days of rest..church has turned into busyiness..Lord, help us to just slow down.. Thanks for this post.. Blessings!

Betsy said...

I remember when I was a child most of the sores were closed and Sunday waas family day. Most everyone I knew went to church, we had Sunday dinner and spent the day relaxing nad reading, playing games, etc I think Sunday is a gift God gave to us and we've all but forgotten that gift. I have a hard tie just sitting and relaxing too. I always have a project in my hands, be it knitting, crocheting o quilting. I need to learn to "be still and know that i am God."
Blessings,
Betsy

Carolyn said...

Beautiful post & music to my ears! You don't have to tell me twice! LOL!
Your sweet spirit shines in every word of your writing. :o)

living from glory to glory said...

Yes, Rest is so important, sometimes we can be so busy we can't even hear the Lord! I think you are right about having to learn to be still and rest! I also love to keep busy But I also love to read and be quiet or watch a sweet movie! Blessings, to you, Roxy

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details