Friday, July 18, 2014

Living Bridges~




This morning as I am reading The Daily Bread. I read about how in India they grow bridges from the roots of rubber trees. It takes 10-15 years but once the bridge is built it is sturdy and dependable~ lasting for a hundred years or so. They are called "Living Bridges."

In Jeremiah 17:5 ~ the Bible tells us the man who places his trust in man is cursed. When we make "man" our hope we will be let down each and every time. We can't allow man ~ our parents~ our Pastor ~ our spouse even our children be our identity~ our hope~ our security. We can't allow our hope to be misplaced in human instead of God.  We will be malnourished and unstable.

Yet~ when we give God  His rightful place in our lives we will be blessed. We will remain stable and secure.  The Bible tells us we will be as a tree planted by the water~ our roots will spread and grow and we will stand strong and secure no matter what the circumstances in life may be. Our leaf will be green ~ we will grow into mature Christians.We will be much like the "Living Bridges" pointing others to Christ.

This morning I am evaluating my life~ where are my roots planted? At times~ I misplace them and allow them to be uprooted and transplanted like my plants I move around from time to time. I take a little shock and feel parched and wilted.  When I have uprooted my faith in God and allow others to take God's place I feel insecure, unstable, hurt and out-of-balance. However~ when we give God back His rightful spot in our lives we once again renew our joy in the Lord. We once again will be a "Living Bridge" pointing others to Christ.

Colossians 2: (KJV)

Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Jeremiah 17:5-1 (KJV)

Thus saith the Lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the Lord.
For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.
Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord, and whose hope the Lord is.
For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
10 I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.



2 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

Reminds me of that old hymn "I shall not be moved." So many times we let the day to day things move our relationship with God. He is Lord. He is above everything. He is our provider, our source, our strength, our joy. He alone. All other ground is sinking sand!! Thank you for the reminder Carrie. Blessings!

Betsy said...

Thank you for this Carrie. Yes, I feel that way also. We've had lots of upheavals in our lives lately. The most recent is the news that our oldest is moving from Portland, OR to Washington DC where her husband has just begun a new job. They are taking MY granddaughter with them. LOL My youngest lives in Japan and the middle one is hundreds of miles away with our other two grandchildren. I never thought our lives would be like this, with children so far, far away. I get depressed, forget to have my quiet time, or if I'm honest I rebelliously "forget" it because I'm disappointed and sad.

Then I remember. I remember all that HE has done for me and blessed me with. Three healthy children with great careers. Three health grandchildren with parents who are together and love them. And three children who love their parents even from far away. And this is just the beginning of the blessings.

I'm getting up from this computer and opening my Bible this morning.
Have a wonderful day Carrie.

Blessings,
Betsy

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details