Thursday, July 17, 2014

"You Can Never Go Back"





I have been having the time of my life. Really I have. I have been missing here in blog land because I have been too busy having fun.

We have been on vacation. My Brian and I have been putting up a pool~ they are not a lot of fun to install. However ~ it sure is nice. Nothing like a good book~ Diet Coke ~floating in cold water on a hot Missouri day. It just does not get any better than this.


Vacation started with lots of work so we decided to wrap it up and take off for some fun. This is our first summer vacation without any of our children. It is bittersweet. I know you all know what I mean. We are trying to reach for the positive side of the empty nest ~ we are working hard at it.

Here we are off and running~ My Brian is not real excited about selfies!

We traveled to Middlebury, Indiana and we landed here at The McKenzie Bed and Breakfast. Oh my lucky stars~ it was heavenly. I mean we pulled into the loveliest yard with beautiful flowers. The wrap around porch was decorated with the most gigantic ferns I had ever seen. It was so inviting. The rooms were gorgeous and so amazingly clean. Not even a speck of dust graced the light fixtures. It was decorated just beautifully. I felt like I had come home.

 When we woke up the next morning I was greeted with a breakfast feast served family style on the most beautiful platters. It was top-notch! I am already planning our next visit~ for real. Bruce and Sherry ~ the owners left nothing undone. The entire house had devotionals and amazing books to pick up and read~ this girl loves to read. We stayed a couple of nights with the great folks at The McKenzie House.

We stayed in Megan's Room~ all the rooms were lovely.
Click here to see Megan's Room.

Next time I am going to stay in Nicolle's Room.
Click here to see that room.

Breakfast is served in their beautiful Dinning Room.
I usually review Christian books on my blog but today I am rating 
The McKenzie House and I give it a 5+stars! 

We spent a day visiting Shipshewana. I hate to say it ~ but ~ things have changed. When we were here five years ago it was my favorite place to visit. You can see my Shipshewana visit then right here. We wondered into a place called Rise and Roll Bakery. It was in the yard of a sweet Amish lady. We even wrote letters to each other that summer after vacation. She shared with me that she had accepted the free gift of salvation by grace ~ that she had accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Saviour. I was so impressed with her joy. Amazing music flowed from that little Bakery in four- part harmony. 

 Only this time I found she had sold her Bakery to a non-Amish couple and now it is a franchise. The food is still amazing but it is no longer that sweet little country piece of Heaven on earth. 

Here is the Rise and Roll Bakery five years ago with our two youngest children.

And here is the Rise and Roll Bakery today~  Click here!

We spent the day at the Shipshewana Flea Market~ even it had changed. It was full of a lot of imports from other countries~ not the old antique finds that we had seen five years ago. Click here to see the Shipshewana Flea Market.

It was hard to find the sweet little quiet shops nestled in the Amish countryside.  Even the Dutch Pantry Bulk store was huge and loaded with people. The Amish appear to have joined in the commercialization of my favorite little place in the world. The Amish farms are still the most beautiful ~ rich farms I have ever seen. Shipshewana is just beautiful. The grass is green and the flowers are out of this world. The tourism has been good to all~ the English and Amish alike.

 This Missouri girl would compare in to an "Amish Branson" in the making. The cars are neck to neck and it takes 30 minutes to get through Main Street.  We stopped at a huge Antique Mall just across the street from the Flea Market. I found some Green Depression Glass dessert cups. Upon checking out I asked the clerk what she thought about the change and she agreed it was very sad. However she said~ "You can never go back." 

As I clicked back in time on my blog and read my Shipshewana post from five years ago I tearfully agreed. My children are grown~ our little Emma Jean has passed on~ Grandma Shindorf has left us with memories and most recent my mother-in-law has passed on to Glory. 

Today as we have landed in Michigan to my Brian's birthplace and childhood home we are making memories with my father-in-law. Trying to carve out a new normal without his Momma. Quietly we ponder on the days gone by all while trying to capture each and every moment before they too will soon be just a memory. 

Life is short. Only one life so soon it will pass ~ only what's done for Christ will last. Only one chance to do His will. So give to Jesus all your days~ it's the only life that pays. For when you recall you have but one life. 

I will be back soon!


3 comments:

Betsy said...

I so enjoyed reading your post today. I've always wanted to visit an Amish community and relish the peace to be found there...but possibly that's a thing of the past? We, too, are trying to find a place in this world after the children have left. That's one reason why we spend so much time at our camper in the mountains. I think it's easier than being home and expecting a child to walk around a corner, out of a bedroom, etc. You're so right. Our lives need to be led for Christ, the only thing that really lasts in this world.
Oh, I almost forgot. The Bed & Breakfast looks wonderful. It makes me wish Washington was closer to Indiana so we could visit too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Patty Sumner said...

What a fun trip.. The bed and breakfast looks wonderful.. I hate to hear that so much commercialization has made it to the Amish countryside..that is so sad..I suppose it was easier for many to sell out and move on... thats sad too. Blessings!

Tina said...

Hi,

Been a blog follower of yours for years. I live in upstate NY now but grew up in Northwest OH. Spent some time in SE Michigan. Been going to Shipshewana for the past 15 years. Even after moving to NY every year when we go back to visit family, my husband and I sneak off for a night in Shipshewana. We were just there this past Tues and Wed, our paths might have crossed! We always stay at the Farmstead. Just became aware of Rise n Roll so stopped there twice. It's always been my dream to live there but up to this point the Lord hasnt opened that door. My husband is full time in the ministry and travels all over the Northeast. Our youngest daughter just graduated (homeschool) this year as well. We were back in Ohio having a graduation party with family there.

Blessings,
Tina

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details