Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Man Can't Just Sit There~ (A Long Read But Worth It!)





Last week at Bible Study we heard a story~ I just had to share with you. Lawn Chair Larry (Larry Walters of Los Angeles) always wanted to fly so he joined the Air Force. Due to poor eyesight he was never given the chance to see his dream come true. After he was discharged he would sit in his back yard and watch jets fly over his head. 

While sitting in his comfortable Sears lawn chair he came up with a plan. He decided to purchase 45 weather balloons from the Army Surplus Store. He filled the four-foot in diameter balloons with helium. Grabbed himself some snacks, a pellet gun and tied himself and those balloons to his lawn chair.  

His plan was to pop a few balloons at a time when he wanted to land. He planned on floating over his back yard and enjoying a lazy float 30 feet above ground. Only his plan did not work out so well. Here~ I say he must have been crazy! When his friends cut the chord that anchored him to his jeep he shot up to the LA sky like a canon~ so they say.

He leveled off at 16,000 feet. I would have already died of a heart attack. Can you imagine? At that height he was smart enough to know he would be in grave danger if he started shooting those balloons. So he drifted ~ cold and afraid with his beer and sandwiches for 14 hours. 

Hold on ~ it gets even worse. He drifted into the LAX fly zone where pilots started reporting the strange sighting of the day.  They began with, "You are not going to believe this!"

 He eventually worked up the nerve to start shooting the balloons for his slow descend. He landed on a power line and darkened a Long Beach neighborhood. He was able to climb to safety where LAPD were waiting to arrest him. A reporter asked Larry in handcuffs why he had done such a thing. Larry replied, "A man can't just sit around."

The Federal Aviation Administration was not amused. Safety Inspector Neal Savoy said, "We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, a charge will be filed."


You know he was right~ A man can't just sit there. 

Our Bible Study ~ "When The Game Is Over, It All Goes Back In The Box" has magically came just at the right time in my life. I have been a stay-at-home ~ homeschool mom for most my life. I am asking the question~ "Now what?" I have worked many part-time jobs along the way but now my purpose in life is gone. What is my new calling? I want to do something that has purpose and meaning for eternity.

John Ortberg has a way of getting you to think deep about why we are here on this earth. He says~ "When did God interrupt someone's life and ask them to do an easy thing?" He asked Abraham to leave his country and go not knowing where he was going, Abraham's sign from God was circumcision. Maybe Abraham should have asked God why Noah received the beautiful sign of a bright rainbow painted across the sky. 

You never hear at a funeral:
"He made a lot of money."
"He had great stuff."
"He was successful because of his job."

You get my point. What is God calling you and me to do today? I seem to be searching and looking for a great call now that I am a retired homeschool mom. I feel a restlessness inside that God has a special job that I am to do but I can't find it. In the stillness of my  house this morning He is speaking to me. His still small voice has reassured me that I am to start with what is in my hands to do today. That includes making cupcakes with sprinkles for Vacation Bible School, canning pints and pints of salsa, praying for my husband as he embarks on a new school year, praying for each of my children as they walk their walk today…… and on and on it goes. I will be a light in my little corner. I will share my Jesus with any and all who cross my path.

And when given the chance I am ready to roll the dice and take a chance at whatever God may bring my way~ For a man can't just sit there!


Ephesians 4:1-4King James Version (KJV)

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;



4 comments:

Betsy said...

I had also heard that story, but not the line"A man can't just sit there." So true. I was adrift for awhile and still sometimes feel that way when I let the demands of the world and it's value system affect my decisions. But...I know my husband is happier than ever since I stopped working when the kids graduated from college. I now have time to do things I like without taking my time away from The Lord and Hubby. I'm free to drive 6 hours to babysit grandchildren when the need arises. I'm free to knit and crochet for many charities locally and around the world. I'm free to do those little jobs at church that slip through the cracks -like cleaning ovens and the baptistry. None of these things will make me rich or famous but that's just fine. God is using me right where He wants me to be. And when I feel those tugs of "am I doing all I can or what I'm supposed to be doing?," feelings, I pray and always seem to feel Him telling me to "Bloom where I'm planted" as Patsy Clairmont says. I know you'll find you're place because you are seeking His will above all else and you will be rewarded for that.
Blessings,
Betsy

Down On The Farm said...

We do what we can do and leave the rest up to God!! All He asks is that we listen, and then be obedient. We are blessed to be a blessing!!

Heather said...

I loved this post God has been gearing us up for something as well! What about mentoring a foster youth? You would be an amazing mentor!! We do a lot of work with our county now on finding mentors you can check out our website www.fostersd.org Foster children are really an area over looked in our country they are also very vulnerable to human trafficking. I believe the stat is like 60-70% of the kids that get recruited into trafficking are foster kids. When Foster Kids get a mentor they have an opportunity to hope and dream of a future with someone who can help guide them through to reach their dreams... :) can you tell this is an issue dear to my heart :) I enjoyed your post thanks for sharing ~Love Heather

Farming On Faith said...

I am going to look into this. I have been praying for God to show me which way to go.

My Friends~My Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

Pages