Thursday, October 23, 2014

Surviving Menopause Without HRT







 Due to sugary I have been thrown into surgical menopause. Let me say I am not giving any medical advice here~ only sharing what is working for me.  I have spent hours researching and made my choices as I recommend others to do. Finding the right choice is important and for me and it helped hearing other people's real life stories.

I am terribly afraid of HRT. If you are doing good with it I am very happy it is working for you. After major surgery I was giving myself blood thinner shots to keep from developing blood clots! (NO FUN!) Yet sent home with HRT patches that can carry the risk of producing  blood clots. I just could not wrap my mind around that. I studied all the risk verses the benefits~talked with my Doctor~ for me I just could not bring myself to take the HRT.

I am  handling menopause beautifully. Actually feeling better than I have in several years. I am celebrating that!

Here is my more natural approach to this roller coaster ride.


* Black Cohosh ~ If I could say it a thousand times this has been a miracle herb for me. I started it about a year ago and it relieved my hot flashes, mood swings, and horrible body aches. It even gave me more energy. I take 540MG a day. ( My doctor advised that 900 MG is an overdose.) What I found in my research and discussed with my doctor is that it may cause liver damage~ more testing needs to be done. My liver enzymes were perfect and I will have them checked again in six months as per my doctor's recommendation. I was so thrilled that my doctor was on board with me because for me this works.

* doTerra Oils~  I am a new believer in essential oils. NO REALLY! They are amazing. I am using the Clarycalm at night before I go to bed. I use others for different reasons but that is another post. You can read about it here! I am so sold on these oils !


* Water~ I am drinking water all day long. As much as I can drink. It is helping with dry skin and hot flashes and making me feel well in general. I keep an iced cold water bottle at all times. It helps me say no to all the other stuff .

*  Diet and Exercise~ There is nothing like the word cancer to shock you into better health. Mine did not turn out to be cancer but my  hysterectomy jolted me into taking my health more serious. We only get one body and we need to treat it well. I have found out that certain foods aid in this process and certain foods make symptoms worse. I would rather heal my body with food and exercise rather than taking medicine. Here is an article that says it best~ click here.


All of these things have helped me not only recover from major surgery but are managing this roller coaster in life called menopause. And that is reason to celebrate this beautiful day.




8 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and I've struggled ever since. Hormone replacement therapy was not an option for me because of a family history of breast cancer. I have struggled since. I took OTC estrogen but it did not help. However, I did not try the Black Cohosh. I will definitely speak to my doctor about this. Thanks for sharing.
I need to investigate the natural oils.

Betsy said...

My hysterectomy was 25 years ago! I'm 54 now and have been struggling for about 5 years with hot flashes, etc. Everytime I think they're gone, they return with a vengence. I have opted out of HRT too because of the risks. Thank you for telling us about black cohash. I've heard of it before and I think I'll be giving it a try.
Blessings,
Betsy

Patty said...

Thanks for sharing as this is where I am in life also. Night sweats for seven years is a long time! I wonder if it will ever end. Anyway, I think I will try these items. Many blessings.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Carrie, I'm so very thankful that you are Cancer free. I will tell you that my sister, who passed from Ovarian cancer, was told it was HRT that caused it. I was in the middle of menopause when I watched her go through chemo. I used Black Cohosh as well as Evening Primrose. I went through it for ten years but am happy to say I didn't need any hormones. I have just started using doTerra.
Have a good evening.
Noreen

Quiltingranny said...

My moms breast cancer was directly related to her docs keeping her on HRT to long. I had a hysterectomy 18 years ago, no HRT and still experience hot flashes off and on! I can deal with them! Could not take Black Cohosh.

Marmee's Pantry said...

Black Cohosh never did anything for me. My routine is: Progesterone cream ~ 3 wks on/1 wk off, 1 TB flaxseed oil daily, 1300 mg evening prirose oil daily, and I either take Gaia Herbs' Adrenal Health OR I make my own adrenal tea (recipe on my blog). MANY people forget about their adrenals when they could get through things with far more calmness. Glad you found what works for you.

Blessings from Ohio...

The Homestead Lady said...

I am 48(tomorrow)and I had a hysterectomy at 23 years...Did HRT for about 5 years then the research began coming out and I discontinued it...I have not taken anything since that time...I have learned to deal with the hotflashes that are now almost gone...HRT is simply not worth the risk it poses in my opinion! Good luck with the Black Cohash...it works great for some!

Sherry Miller said...

Glad you were cancer free, and hope you get over the side affects of things real soon.

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details