Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Make Your Bed~ Do The Dishes~ And Put On Your Make-Up"



This morning I am re-visiting that question again. Here it goes~ "Do I wear makeup every day?"  AND "Do you believe wearing a makeup is a sin?"

First of all yes I wear makeup every day~ and as you must have figured out by my first answer~ I do not believe wearing makeup is a sin. 

Why do I wear makeup every day?

Well, it all began here ~


My Mother


My Grandmother

I remember as a small girl watching my mother put on her makeup every day. I remember the smell of it. I was mesmerized. I remember thinking she was the prettiest mother in the world. My mother is a beautiful woman.

 I remember my grandmother who happened to be a colorful woman~ with a little pink bathroom. She would slather on her lemon cream. I wish I could still find it today~ she smelled so good. Then she would apply her foundation~ green eyeshadow with a touch of mascara and red lipstick. She was a beautiful grandmother.

I would sit in the bathroom and talk to my grandma as she would get ready. She told me on more than one occasion. " Everyday no matter how busy you think you are ~ you make your bed, do your dishes and put on your makeup. If nothing else gets done at least do these things."  I have to tell you I have turned into my grandmother. Every day if nothing else gets done I make my bed~ do my dishes ~ and put on my makeup.

 I have added  a new beauty secret for my daughters and grand daughters~ which is even more important~ CONNECT WITH JESUS EVERY MORNING. You just don't want to try and face one single day without Jesus. Women who walk in fellowship with God just glow. It is the real kind of beauty that can't be found at the make-up counter.

My mother and grandmother both accepted Christ and when that happened they truly became beautiful inside and out. 

I love these woman and I am who I am today because of who they taught me to be. It is my prayer that I can pass the same beauty inside and out to my little Olivia. As you can see the little apple does not fall far from the tree.

 
What does the Bible say?
It is a new concept to me to think of wearing makeup as a sin but in light of questions that have come my way I decided to search the scriptures. After all, it does not matter what my opinion is or yours~ God's Word is the plum line.
Here are the five scriptures used to establish a doctrine to oppose makeup.

2 Kings 9:30

King James Version (KJV)
 30And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face, and tired her head, and looked out at a window.

Here we have an evil woman trying to seduce a man. It is not a yes or no to makeup but rather an account of what happened. She also looked out the window of which is not a sin. I don't call what I put on my face as painting the face. 

Jeremiah 4:30

King James Version (KJV)
 30And when thou art spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; thy lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life.

Ezekiel 23:40-41

King James Version (KJV)
 40And furthermore, that ye have sent for men to come from far, unto whom a messenger was sent; and, lo, they came: for whom thou didst wash thyself, paintedst thy eyes, and deckedst thyself with ornaments,
 41And satest upon a stately bed, and a table prepared before it, whereupon thou hast set mine incense and mine oil.

Here we have prophetic cries of the prophets~ would it also be wrong to wear red~ a gold watch~ to make myself fair~wash myself or sit on the bed?

Proverbs 6:25

King James Version (KJV)
 25Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

Here we have a Biblical warning for men to be wise in dealing with beautiful women~with or without makeup and to avoid the temptation of adultery.

1 Timothy 2:9

King James Version (KJV)
 9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Here it is talking about shamefacedness~ which is an attitude, not an appearance.

On the other hand, if you study the book of Esther~ The Song of Solomon and the book of Revelation you will see a blast of makeup with God's approval. Read it and see if it is not true.


17 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

Jesus looks at one thing . . . our heart. I to try to avoid controversial issues because, like you said, it is up to Jesus to guide people, not me. I believe many things in life can be used in a sinful way, or to glorify God, our choice. It is our intent that determines the difference. Have a great day from your make-up wearin' friend :0! GREAT POST!!!!!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Carrie, I love this because it truly shows your heart; I think that is what the Lord looks at-where are heart is. I think there are ladies out there with and without makeup whose heart are not right. Our focus should be on the Lord, not making ourselves glamorous-I always see your focus on Him. I've never heard anyone say anything about makeup being a sin, just that not wearing dresses etc can be a sin. Josh Harris, preacher and speaker once told me that it didn't matter what a girl wore-but what her character was...I so agree.
Hugs today, thanks for sharing the verses too.
Noreen

Ashley @ Coffee and Apple Juice said...

"The purpose of my blog is to point people to Jesus. It is His job to tell people how to live not mine. It is so important to get along and show brotherly love no matter which side of the fence you find yourself on this issue."

"After all love is what the lost and dying world needs to see from those who know and follow Christ. One day we will spend eternity in Heaven ~ in light of that I hope my study was of some help to you."

YES! THIS! ^^^^^^^^^

I loved seeing these pictures of my grandmothers along with this song today. Love them.

Down On The Farm said...

Jesus is concerned with our heart. We are to dress modestly, and in such a way that brings honor to Him, but it is up to Him to lead and guide in those areas. I believe there are many everyday things that can be used in a good way, or a bad way, depending on our intent, our heart. Our church is attended by women wearing dresses, women wearing slacks, and women wearing jeans and shorts. Men wearing suits, and khakis and shorts. We have members who have tattoos, piercings and scars. Jesus loves them all and it is His desire that their hearts belong to Him. If He wants to clean up the outside, HE will. Blessings to you my sweet friend, from one make-up wearing girl to another :0!

Lady Farmer said...

Great post, Carrie! Your witness shines through without writing 'controversial topics'! Like the other gals (and you) have said, Jesus looks at our heart.

Your Mom and Grandmother are beautiful ladies! I was raised by my grandmother, and she always wore make-up and dressed nicely every day. I choose not to wear make-up (except on special occasions), not because I think it is wrong, but because it bothers my eyes and skin. I almost always only wear dresses/skirts to church, but at home it is hard to get me out of my jeans. They are the most comfortable for me ~ been wearing them on the farm all my life! Hard to change now! :~D We rarely have visiters and my animals certainly don't care what I am wearing!

Blessings!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

This was a great post! Thanks for sharing. I love to wear makeup and look pretty for my hubby when he comes home also! And to try and look my best when I leave the house. Good job!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

A BEAUTIFUL post Carrie and a great reminder to each of us.

Blessings!
Gail

Quiltingranny said...

What blessings. My grandmother and mom always wore make-up, me it isn't an issue, but I took my grandmothers scolding to hear, ' a lady never goes to town without her lipstick on!' I have found if I do not make my bed in the morning, I am not motivated the rest of the day, it is like making my bed opens the portals to the rest of the day for me and the dishes...well, they are always done. You are such a great inspiration, thanks for the post!

Farming On Faith said...

I am so glad looks at my heart and not the feeble attempts I make!

Farming On Faith said...

Me too~ I love you my beautiful girl!

Farming On Faith said...

Thank you for your sweet comment!

Farming On Faith said...

Amen and Amen so well spoken!
You have a wonderful weekend! It is going to be a hot one here in Missouri!

Farming On Faith said...

You are so right about Jesus looking at our hearts.
You are an inspiration to us all Lady Farmer of what a true lady looks like.
Have a blessed weekend!

Farming On Faith said...

Yes~ and you are a true hero of mine as a Military wife!
My heart ached with you watching as you served our country giving up your husband~ you bless my heart with your testimony and grace! I now have two daughters married to Military men. You encourage me! My Hannah will be sending off her new husband later this year.

Farming On Faith said...

Hello Gail~
You have a blessed weekend and thank you for your sweet comment!

Kim said...

Hi Carrie,
I loved this post! You are an inspiration to get out of my sweat pants and look like I care about what I do.

I have checked your blog on and off for years and about 4 years ago my boy was starting high school at home. I was so scared and I asked you a few questions and you responded so nicely. My boy is now a senior. : ( We made it! Woo hoo! I have one more....my girlie girl!

Anyway, thank you for your help. And keep up the hard work. You always look great! : )

Kim said...

Hi Carrie,
I loved this post! You are an inspiration to get out of my sweat pants and look like I care about what I do.

I have checked your blog on and off for years and about 4 years ago my boy was starting high school at home. I was so scared and I asked you a few questions and you responded so nicely. My boy is now a senior. : ( We made it! Woo hoo! I have one more....my girlie girl!

Anyway, thank you for your help. And keep up the hard work. You always look great! : )

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details