Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy St. Patrick's Day~ Cabbage Roll Recipe


Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.  I am not Irish, nor do I believe in luck. I do wear green and make a mean pot of corned beef and cabbage. I do often think about how blessed I am when I hear about the "luck of the Irish."

1 Peter 1:4

To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you.

Rainbows are to remind us of God's promise to never destroy the earth again with water.  But to be honest, my pot of gold would have to be my relationship with Jesus Christ. My accepting Christ as my Saviour will one day lead me to a pot of gold in Heaven. 

Not only do I have the promise of eternity in Heaven but I have so much here on earth. I have joy in the journey. I have peace in the pot holes. I have faith in my failures. I have love in my loneliness. 

So don't call me lucky~call me blessed!

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.



Happy St. Patrick's Day





 Grandma Catron's Cabbage Roll Recipe 
They are so very yummy. 

12 cabbage leaves
Filling~

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 cup cooked rice
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup milk

Sauce~

  • 1 cans (8 ounces ) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water

Preparation: Drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain well. For filling, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, and salt, pepper, and milk. Mix well and divide into 12 portions. Place a portion into the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around filling; fasten with a toothpick. Place in a baking dish. For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water with cornstarch and pour over cabbage rolls. Bake covered in a preheated 350° oven 40 to 45 minutes. Remove rolls and discard toothpicks. Place pan with juices over medium heat or transfer the juices to a saucepan and place over heat; stir cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce; bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Recipe for cabbage rolls serves 6.

4 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi Carrie, great post. I haven't made Cabbage rolls since my girls were in grade school and we made it for the teachers one year. We will have a traditional dinner though and celebrate big time, since I am 100% Irish. Hope you have a great day!
Hugs,
Noreen

Patty said...

I have never made cabbage rolls. Not sure if I would like them since cabbage does not appeal to me. I might pass this recipe along to my mother though. She remembers her mother making them from her childhood and would probably like to have the recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Camille said...

Now you've got me craving cabbage rolls!!! Hugs to you! Camille

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Love your thoughts here .... Indeed, there's no such thing as 'luck', but God's amazing providence in our lives. What we do and learn from that providence is so important. I have had, and continue to have so many blessings in my life. I love the lines in Psalm 16 that say, 'Unto me the lines have fallen in very pleasant places".
Anne x

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details