Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Honey Buttermilk Bread Recipe
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp organic sugar
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups of warm buttermilk
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter (let cool to warm)
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
6 cups flour ( I used 3 cups unbleached four and 3 cups wheat flour.)
* Mix yeast and sugar with warm water in a small bowl. Too warm for a babies' bath water. Let sit and froth to top of the bowl.
* Mix buttermilk, honey, baking soda together and add to yeast mixture.
* Add three cups of flour to the above mixture and mix on low with a kneader in a Kitchen Aid until well mixed.
* Add warm butter and mix well.
* Slowly add the last three cups of flour until well kneaded.
*Place in greased bowl for about an hour until it doubles in size.
*Punch down and divide into two loaf pans.
* Let the dough rise until double again
* Bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
* Brush with butter and let stand in pans for 10 minutes before removing.