Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Pack Lightly




My boy is coming to the end of his school year at a Technical School and has won the right to travel to a State Competition this week. As we tried to find the right bag he decided on a small bag and wanted to pack lightly. I ~on the other hand ~never pack light. I just can't do it~ I have tried. I never can decide on an outfit for any given day and need to keep my options open. This always makes for a stressful packing time~ cumbersome traveling and even worse is the unpacking when I return from my travels. You think I would get this figured out.

Mark 6:8King James Version 

 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

This verse is talking about the disciples going on a trip with Jesus. They were to take no scrip~ that means a substitute for legal tender, no bread, and no money. Wow,~ talk about panic. When I travel I take baby wipes, medicine, snacks, something to read, my debit card and cash too. I have to have lots of clothes and the right shoes. Yet~ they were to go with Jesus on this journey and just trust Him to meet all their provisions. I would have thrown a tantrum and stayed home. What about you?

I am reminded how foolish I am to hang on to that which can be taken away. Jesus Christ can meet all our needs. As we travel this journey may we hold loosely to those things that can be taken away at a moment's notice and hold tightly to the One who keeps His promise?

5 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Hi Carrie, How proud you must be of your son and all his hard work.
Lifting you up today, asking for wisdom and clarity for your health.
Hugs,
Noreen

Camille said...

Beautiful post my friend...so full of truth! May the Lord bless you as you travel with your boy. And, yes...try to travel light! XO

Betsy said...

I had to smile at this post. My husband NEVER lets me take more than my carry-on size suitcase and my tote bag that contains my purse, knitting and a book or magazine.
The airlines have lost his luggage one too many times for him when he travels for work. So...I have learned to pack lightly. I have gone to Japan twice for two weeks each time with just a carry-on bag. Also to London and Paris and several times to Hawaii. Not to mention trips to visit our kids around the States. Pack lightly? Yep, that's me. I'm heading out on a cruise in April and plan to only take my carry-on. The friend I'm going with takes FOUR bags! She thinks I'm nuts...until we get to the airport and I have to tote her bags around because she can't handle them all.
However, I still don't pack as lightly as Jesus told his disciples. I may need to work on that. :-)
Blessings,
Betsy

Scrappy quilter said...

Carrie I say it again. You always have the most wonderful, thought provoking posts. Hugs and a prayer

Down On The Farm said...

So proud of your young man!! Hope he has a GREAT GREAT TIME!! Sadly, I usually pack much more than I need. I just don't want to NEED something, and not have it lol. I too am reminded that I only REALLY NEED one thing, and that is Jesus. Prayers for your my dear friend. Have a blessed day!!!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details