Monday, April 6, 2015

Winning Your Ugly Struggle with Beauty~ Enough Already


Wow~ what an encouraging book for all women of all ages, shapes and sizes. It is so true ~we are so kind to other women. Yet~ we are so unkind to ourselves. We all have those voices in our head saying: "I am not pretty enough" " I am not good enough." I am not thin enough." We belittle ourselves when we fail as wives, mothers and friends. We self loathe ourselves when we can't loose weight or conquer our worst fears. Why? Where did this start? Why are we so mean to ourselves?

Barbara Roose answers these questions and more in her newly released book, Enough Already. She states in her book that we all know what is on the inside matters most~ yet the outside does matter too. We look in the mirror and nitpick our every flaw. Yet~ the Bible tells us we are fearfully and wonderfully made. 

This book is packed full of wisdom and knowledge that every woman needs to read and study. It is written much like a Bible Study. At the end of each chapter is a Beauty Mark. It's kind-of like a little piece of advice. After that is the group discussion questions and journaling questions. It would be a great personal Bible Study but I am thinking a small coffee group would be so much fun. In fact my wheels are already turning just who I would like to take on this little journey with me to win the ugly struggle with beauty in my own heart. 

I so enjoyed reading this book and can't wait to share it with someone. I was given this book in exchange for my honest review and I rate it 5 stars. Thank you Barbara for your Godly wisdom and encouragement. May God richly bless you! 

Please take time to watch a message from the author below. 


Enough AlreadyMaya Angelou once said, “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” Where does a writer find inspiration? What’s the hardest part about writing a story? What do you hope your writing achieves? We’ve asked Barbara Roose to tell us the story behind Enough Already. Barbara is celebrating the release with a giveaway! One reader will receive a cash card and writing supplies for her own inner-beauty weekend getaway! Click here to learn more and enter.

Tells us a bit about your book—what inspired you to write it?
In 2014, Toledo was voted to have the worst winter in the United States. I wrote my book , Enough Already: Winning Your Ugly Struggle with Beauty that winter. While our city faced record-setting snow, record-setting cold and children cheered record numbers of school cancellations; I shivered my way through chapter after chapter.
At first, I believed that endless days of double-digit negative temperatures would lead to cozy evenings in front of my laptop. That could have happened, except for my house is 113-years old, so if “Someone PLEASE check to see if a window is open!” is synonymous with “cozy,” then mission accomplished. Blizzard conditions and old houses with so-so insulation don’t mix. Writing in cold weather was tough for me, so in-between snow emergencies; I’d escape to local coffee shops. For some reason, the constant turnover and activity helps me do my best writing.
What is the main message of your book?
This book project came about because I realized that women, especially Christian women, were kind and caring, to others, yet brutal to themselves when standing in front of a mirror. Most women’s conference planners wanted me to talk about topics related to inner beauty, like virtue, character and avoiding yoga pants. These topics were fine, except that during break-time, I would visit with the women and rather than discussing my riveting presentation, women bemoaned their wrinkles, hips, stomachs or stretch-marks. God prompted me to think about how to help women bridge the gap between inner-beauty and outer-beauty. I sensed that He wanted women to see themselves as wholly beauty, rather than striving for one type of beauty and accepting a loss on the other.
What was the hardest part about writing nonfiction?
The most important chapter in my book, “Defining Divine Beauty” took two weeks to write. For some reason, I couldn’t “see” the chapter framework in my minds’ eye, so I struggled to communicate it to others. At first, I wanted punish myself, after all, how could I botch the most important chapter in the book. But, I had to take a deep breath. I knew that God was going to show up in that unknown space. I also knew that I just had to be patient and wait for it to happen. And it did. God showed up. He always does.
What are you working on next?
A few months ago, my agent asked what I wanted to write about for my next book. She said, “Write what you know.” I prayed for a few months and really asked God to direct me toward a topic that came from my heart and would connect with other women. So, now I’ve got a new topic and even some chapter outlines. Here’s a quick peak into my next topic: Fifteen years ago, I bought a house without telling my husband. Why? Because once upon a time, I used to be a control freak.
Since books take a long time to publisher and I love connecting with women more often than every 18-24 months at publication, I invite you to join me on my Shape, Style & Soul Facebook page. We talk about women-stuff in a way that’s 100% positive, fun and inspirational. You can also reach me on Twitter at @barbroose for more information about my book as well as speaking information.


Barb Roose

{MORE ABOUT BARB ROOSE}

Barbara Roose is an African-American, wife, mother, and pastor with a passion for creatively communicating God’s truths in a manner that is relevant and easy for people to apply to their lives. In February 2002, she joined the staff at Cedar Creek Church in Perrysburg, Ohio. Currently, she is the Directional Leader and Pastor of Spiritual Formation. For the past eight years, she has had the privilege to serve as periodic teaching pastor to 10,000 (average) weekly attendees. Since 2010, she has spoken at various women’s conferences in the U.S. and Honduras. In October 2012, she was a guest speaker for best-selling author and former Women of Faith speaker, Nicole Johnson’s Seasons Weekend Experience. Barbara and her husband, Matt, have been married 21 years and live in Toledo, Ohio.
Find out more about Barb at http://www.barbroose.com.



I received this book in exchange for my honest review. This book was provided to me free of charge.


Enough Already (Abingdon, March 2015)

Recognize your own outer and inner beauty as defined by God, not the media or others.

Most women know that God loves them, but might he love them more if they finally lost that last ten pounds, or got their hair to lay right, or finally found a pair of jeans that looked good and let them breathe? Well, maybe God doesn't care about jeans, but women do, and all the talk about inner beauty hasn't kept all of us from staring into a mirror and taking an inventory that never quite measures up. Enough Already will:

-Elevate the soul-freeing, spiritual truth that God is the Creator of beauty and that women are called to appreciate and care for themselves as his own.
-Enable women to accept God-given beauty so that when they look in the mirror they see his handiwork, not their flaws.
-Equip women to win the ugly struggle with beauty once and for all.
Purchase a copy: http://bit.ly/1Eqr5Tw

About the author:

Barbara Roose
 is an African-American, wife, mother, and pastor with a passion for creatively communicating God's truths in a manner that is relevant and easy for people to apply to their lives. In February 2002, she joined the staff at Cedar Creek Church in Perrysburg, Ohio. Currently, she is the Directional Leader and Pastor of Spiritual Formation. For the past eight years, she has had the privilege to serve as periodic teaching pastor to 10,000 (average) weekly attendees. Since 2010, she has spoken at various women's conferences in the U.S. and Honduras. In October 2012, she was a guest speaker for best-selling author and former Women of Faith speaker, Nicole Johnson's Seasons Weekend Experience. Barbara and her husband, Matt, have been married 21 years and live in Toledo, Ohio.

Find Barbara online: websiteFacebookTwitter

2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

A great review. Sounds like a good book.

Barbara Roose said...

Thank you so much for checking out my book and posting your review. You've pointed so many of the elements that I hope each reader experiences as she takes the Enough Already Journey. I also love that you posted some other content to give your audience a chance to get to know me a little better. By the way, that sweater you are wearing in your photos is absolutely amazing! You look fabulous in it! Thanks again!

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details