Friday, January 15, 2016

Stop This Merry-Go-Round....... I Want Off!


Do you ever feel this way? Do you get overwhelmed with your "TO DO LIST" ? Guess what?~ There is a relief.

God our Creator knew that we would be overwhelmed with stress and commitment~so He made a plan for us. He even gave us an example all the way back in Creation.


Genesis 2:1-3

1Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Do you really think God needed a day off? Do you think He was tired and needed rest! I would lay money on this one if I were a betting girl . I would venture to say God knew we would need this lesson. Boy~I sure do. Life is tiring! The burdens of the day weigh us down. 

When the Israelites were freed by God out of slavery for more than 400 years they were given a Promised Land.  God gave them some new rules to live by. In all the years of slavery, they never had a day off. Now God was giving them a day of rest. 

If God established a Sabbath day~a day to get off the merry-go-round~why do we choose to ignore it? I can dust my floors and the dust returns tomorrow. I sometimes become a slave to my own home. If one day off per week could rest our bodies, refresh our minds and restore our spirit~ why would we not choose to take it?

Deuteronomy 5:12-15

12Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
13Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
14But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

15And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.


4 comments:

Camille said...

It is confusing to me why people don't want to step out of the world one day per week and just stop doing all the regular things. I am SO incredibly thankful for the Lord's Day...it is such a blessing!! Hugs to you! Camille

Betsy said...

Amen! I was just discussing this with my husband and a few friends a few weeks ago. I think it's a shame how our Sabbath has become a day just like any other. We rush off to church, then we rush to lunch, then we rush home to take care of any unfinished tasks from the rest of the week. How much calmer would our lives be if we took that day just to soak in the rest that we also desperately need. Thank you for your words today.
Blessings, Betsy

living from glory to glory said...

Hello, Carrie, This is such a good truth we all need to hear often. We all just need to take a break and rest in the Lord and take a day off from our to do list!
Hugs, Roxy
PS I love your new header!!

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

Oh I am with you on this Carrie and I am guilty of becoming enslaved to the house and my to do list and not taking a proper Sabbath. I can easily avoid going near a mall on Sundays but it is at home where the urge to keep on working is strongest. We also tend to invite people home on Sundays too which can make me go into all kinds of a flutter on the very day when we should be resting. I need to learn to relax more about this and learn to be more of a Mary as my inner Martha takes over. We usually only go to one service on a Sunday and missed the evening service because it was just too much as we travel in from out of town but now our church has introduced a cooked meal for a low cost after the 5pm service. It works really well (food cooked by a chef off premises, picked up and served by a team of helpers) and you get to fellowship with people properly after church and not worry about what to cook for dinner Sunday night. I'm also tidying up my home once and for all after reading the 'Life Changing Magic of Tidying' because its promise of a home that stays tidy was so appealing. It has certainly worked thus far for my wardrobe and getting ready for church is so much easier now I have discarded much and can see at a glance what I have to wear. The farmgirl's new deck is also helping us rest and relax at home - she bought a secondhand spa bath/jacuzzi which is heated by wood and planted roses in the garden. It's a very nice little spot for us all. I keep telling her that she might never want to leave home now and her dad will build her a log cabin up there!

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details