Sunday, January 24, 2016

What I Wish I Could Go Back And Tell My Young Bride Self




This morning I am getting ready to speak at a Bridal Shower for this Saturday. I have my devotion ready ~ just  the butterflies are left. I am reminding her of the usual lessons learned from the good and bad girls of the Bible. I am telling her all the tried and true things we all need hear before we walk down the isle.

What can I tell a beautiful girl for her to put in her pocket to pull out when she needs it on this journey called marriage? What would I tell my young bride self if I could go back to that June day? I think I know what I would tell me ~it is not always romance and roses with chocolate sprinkled in all the time. The "white picket fence" needs to be painted now and then and those "white lace promises" have to hold it all together.

We sometimes get the idea when we marry our "Prince Charming" that he will make everything right, he will fill our emptiness, he will always know what and when to say it. Just writing it sounds ridiculous. Let me just say~ I did marry my "Prince Charming" and I adore him to pieces. But even "Prince Charming" makes a lousy god.

God never intended for my Brian to meet all my needs. Only He can make me feel loved 100% of the time. Only He can fill the emptiness of my soul. Only He "gets" me all the time. If Brian could meet all my needs I would not need GOD. God never intended for our husbands to be our god nor to make us happy all the time. It is pure foolish to put that kind of pressure even on "Prince Charming."

If I could go back and tell me these things it would have saved me many sleepless nights and unneeded tears.

I am thankful that I have learned to let Brian be my "Prince Charming" but only God can be my God.

Philippians 4:19King James Version (KJV)

19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

3 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

So very very true. Many times I think brides and grooms put more emphasis on the engagement and wedding than the marriage. Being married is hard, and I've been married to a great guy for 30 years. But there are sure times I've wanted to ring his neck. And he'd probably say the same thing about me. Marriage is intended to be forever. When they say "for better or worse" they better mean it 'cause there are times you think the "worse" far outweighs the "better" LOL! That said I sure do love my husband and wouldn't change a thing. I will pray for the Lord to speak through you sweet Carrie and to minister to all those ladies at the shower. Blessings to you my friend!

Patty said...

Almost 31 years later in our marriage, I would agree completely!

Camille said...

Praying for you this morning as you prepare your heart for sharing your devotional at the shower....I am sure you will be a great blessing. It's no wonder you feel under attack (as per your most recent post)....when we proclaim Truth, the enemy of our souls is never far away. May you know the fortification of the Lord this day my friend. Hugs, Camille

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details