Monday, February 29, 2016

An Empty Nest Is Highly Overrated


This is the first Monday morning that I have faced a new week with an empty nest. The first day in 30 years I don't have to think about caring for my children. I don't have to worry what they will eat for lunch or if they need something washed. I won't have to walk into their room and straighten it with my perfectionist eye. I miss their noise and even their bickering. I miss them!

 I carried them and gave them life ~held them close to my heart and nurtured them. One by one they have left the nest.  I know I shouldn't want it any other way. I know this is what I raised them to do. I know I need to cut the apron strings. But ~ I don't want to! I want to kick and scream and throw a fit and just cry.

My house is picture perfect~ not a thing out of place. My floors are clean and the beds are made neat and tight~ grandma would be proud. The house is quiet so I turn on praise music.  Oh~ what I would give to have them all home for just one more day. I would sit and play all day and let them make messes and put away the phone and computer and turn off the television. I would glory in my children just one more day.

I am so thankful that I choose to stay at home and raise my children. Today ~ I am so thankful I made my children my career. I am thankful my man  was willing to make huge sacrifices so I could have the past 30 years. Today ~ I have no regrets! I wouldn't have missed it for the world. 

Give me a moment or two and I will move along and pick up my to-do list and plan what the rest of our life will look like. 

In my distress, I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me.



5 comments:

Ashley said...

I think we would all like to have a day like that back again too Mom. We love you more than the whole wide world!

Camille said...

Yes, Carrie....being SAHM and making it your career is a wonderful blessing to all those you have nurtured and loved on. Your husband is blessed to have you still. Your career in the home will just look different now that your children have grown. Don't despair...the Lord will guide and direct you as you look to Him. I have thought often on these things as well. Since one of our children was called home to heaven, my ponderings have at times been intense. But, I can say this...whatever the Lord calls you to, He will see you through!! Stand firmly on Him...He is faithful!! I am praying that you will know what to do next. Isaiah 43:1-3 are precious verses to encourage our hearts when we are in the midst of trials. Big Hugs to you! With love, Camille

Down On The Farm said...

Oh dear Carrie. I know exactly your feelings. I've been right where you are. I could not stay home with my children. I went back to work when Cole was six weeks old, and when Alex was five weeks old. And I always felt guilty . . . always wondered if working outside the home made me a "bad mom." But the bottom line is, stay at home mother or working mother, this day comes to us all . . . the days the kids are gone and the house is empty. I too would turn back the clock in a heartbeat . . . but sadly that is impossible. I can promise you this . . . it does get better. You will always wish for "back then" but you will adjust and move forward and it will be O.K. You will cherish the times you are together even more (as I'm enjoying having Alex home for another week and a half but its going WAY TOO FAST!) and the memories will see you through until the next time you're together. I agree with you . . . empty nest IS highly overrated. Hugs . . .

Debbie Slaughter said...

Carrie,
I know half of your pain. One of my sons is married and my baby is about to turn 17. I was recently thinking of my next season, knowing that I will miss my boys so much.

I could not have lived a better life, having been at home with my boys every single day of their lives. It truly has been a privilege.

Today I pray that God will give you a hope for your future and a peace where there is pain.

In His name,
Debbie

Ann at eightacresofeden said...

It's kind of ironic, we just joined a connect group at our church that is for empty nesters or almost empty nesters which we are definitely not with 6 still at home and another 10 plus years of homeschooling ahead but in the group all the others are around our age or older and most have older children we truly are the odd ones out. The crazy and sad thing is Carrie that some people pity us, they say things like 'Oh, poor you' because we still have a full house and this just breaks my heart because it is Christians who are saying these things to us. I know a day will come when there will be no Lego models on the coffee table or fingerprints on the French doors but right now even though I have days when I long for a house that stays tidy I want to hold on to the busy, noisy days for as long as possible. I must tell you about my friend who became an empty nester. Her 4 children all in different places, even different countries. I'm not sure what she asked the Lord for but something amazing happened as one by one, each married couple came home and are now building their own little homes on the property. And yes, the grandchildren came too and her house is fuller than it was before and maybe not as tidy as she likes it to be. Whatever happens Carrie I am sure the Lord has something very special for you and you and Brian are going to be a blessing to so many in the places he leads you to.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details