Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Waiting And Resting At My "Jacob's Well"


I am enjoying my new home. However ~ it has been way harder than I expected it to be. I am sure there is a divine purpose for God taking me out of my comfort zone and placing my feet in a world of unknown.  This morning in my quiet time I am reading about resting and waiting.

Jesus and his disciples had come from a long journey and they were weary. I get that at this moment in time. The disciples had gone to Sychar for food. Jesus was tired and he was sitting on the well. As He was resting and waiting a woman came to him. She was of Samaria. He asked her for a drink. This would have been uncommon because a Jew would not have spoken to a person from Samaria or had any dealings at all with the Samaritans.

Jesus went on to tell this woman about the Living Water that she could drink of and never thirst again. He proved himself to her by telling her all she had ever done. She left a changed woman and went to tell others of the man who shared everlasting life with her.  You can read the account here in John 4. 

 Noticed what Jesus was doing here in this setting. He was resting and waiting by the well. My new home ~  new city~  new church~ new neighborhood right now has become my  "Jacob's well."  A place where  I am resting and waiting for God to unfold the next chapter of my journey. The next place where I can serve~ where I can make friendships ~ where I can call a church my home~  where I can share with a lost soul the Living Water.  I am way out of my comfort zone. I am a bit undone. In light of seeing it all as my " Jacob's well" ~where I am waiting and resting, it seems to be doable this morning. I find great encouragement  knowing as I rest and wait on my Heavenly Father that He will bring His work to me.

On this rainy morning, I am counting my blessings that my "Jacob's well" just happens to be in my beautiful new kitchen where I am sipping coffee .



John 4:4-14 (KJV)

And he must needs go through Samaria.
Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
(For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

2 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

"They that wait upon the Lord . . . " Wait and rest knowing that God is refilling you so that you can minister to others who need what you have . . . the living water of Jesus. Prayers for you today and every day!!!

Janie F. said...

This post surely speaks to me today. I have been a babysitter for infants to school age children in my home for 26 years. The little ones have brought laughter and joy into our home and made it a happier place. This summer I will lose the 4 yr old grand daughter of my cousin who has delighted us and made us laugh Mon thru Fri. I am waiting to see who the Lord is going to send me next to care for. So I pray and trust and remember all He has blessed us with. Thank you for reminding me to just wait and see.

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details