Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Have You Ever Tried A New Church?


Photo Credit~ My Gypsy Girl
Click to visit her here

I have always been one to make friends easily. I would even venture to say I manage to always fit it~ it has always been easy for me. Eight weeks ago we packed up our little Corgi and orphan Annie kitty and left our family and friends behind. My youngest baby boy, my hometown, my family , my hairdresser, all of them left behind. This morning I tried a new hairdresser and I spent a fortune.  I now have black hair. My girls were trying to make it better but out of the mouth of my oldest grandson who called it what it is "BLACK." She was very nice and I love the cut but the price was more than I can justify and I am going to see if Dawn will tone it down a bit. 

Trying new churches has even been more challenging. We actually have been attending one faithfully full of friendly people but this process has convicted this heart of mine. I was in the same church for 38 years. Do you know all churches have their own lingo and ways of doing things? For an outsider coming in it feels very overwhelming.  In fact, how we treat people at church determines if they will ever come back again. I looked back over the years and realized how at times by being so busy doing my jobs at church that I overlooked that visitor. Times I could have gone out of my way to let visitors know the plan.   I have been a Jesus follower a long time. I can only imagine how someone who never does "CHURCH" may feel. I really want to remember this lesson and never forget the hospitality I have been shown.  Showing love and hospitality do not cost a thing but our time and attention. May we all pay more attention and show God's love.

1 Peter 4:8-9And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

4 comments:

oneme said...

Hi Carrie! I've just recently started visiting a new church also and I appreciate your heart about making visitors welcome. I'm still not real comfortable and never really have been at any church because of the "church ways" and the "community" of people that have already been going there but, I keep thinking if we're all supposed to be believers in Jesus Christ why isn't this friendlier and easier? The pastor seems to think that people have their ways and we have to just work on us and be what God wants us to be and I get that but, some ways people have are just "wrong" and they know it and I don't think that shouldn't be in church and definitely not out of church.What do you think am I off on this? Thank you for your feedback. I'm determined to prayerfully keep going and to be open to what I need to change.

Farming On Faith said...

oneme~
I am sorry you are struggling. This is new to me. I started attending my home church as a bus kid at the age of five. So, I grew up there. I attended for 38 years. This is why I give a little grace. I think many just don't see or maybe really don't understand what it feels like to be an outsider.

I am determined to find a church and serve and worship God no matter how others behave. However, I think God will show us which church He wants us to serve in. I will be praying for you.

Camille said...

You are right, Carrie...each group of people does seem to have a unique way of doing things. How precious it is to know that it is the Lord Who we have in common with those we attend church services with! It makes it all seem less intimidating, don't you think? I am praying for oneme as well....may the Lord give daily His grace and strength for all He calls us to. Hugs, Camille

Farming On Faith said...

Yes~ Camille, you are so right.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details