Friday, September 16, 2016

When To Harvest Bittersweet~



I search high and low for bittersweet each year at this time. After some research~ I found out that bittersweet was once planted by highways and railways to prevent erosion. They soon discovered that it grew out of control and reseeded itself everywhere so they stopped planting it~ bummer! I love bittersweet.

A couple of years ago I went to my local nursery and bought myself a plant. Bittersweet needs both a female and male plant to produce berries. It only takes one male plant for six to eight female plants. However ~they now have a plant that is both~which I bought. I was not so convinced but it did work.  Bittersweet must be planted by fences or trellises because they climb.

 Fall is a great time to plant bittersweet. If mulched and protected over the winter it will thrive and remain maintenance free for most of its long life.

Bittersweet is ready to be harvested when you see the orange capsules of the fruit split open to reveal fruit inside. Cut the stems the length desired and twine them up and hang them upside down in a warm~ dark place. As the berries dry they will split and crack open.  Once dried they will make a nice display that will last for many years.





5 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

My sister planted her own also. I never did, because we used to have an abundant supply of bittersweet right by our house (on the road). Last Fall I witnessed a lady "stealing" my bittersweet :( Probably time for me to plant some also - in my yard! :) Very interesting stuff.. I love it. Thanks for this post, Carrie! -Tammy

Marydon said...

Hi, sweetie ... yup! I am back!! Love the bittersweet, now to see all that you will decorate with it. I didn't know this about bittersweet ... interesting. I heard this about holly, also.

Have a great week.

GIVEAWAY ends 9/9, don't miss this one!!

TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Sun Valley Homestead said...

Hi dear friend...so glad to check in with you again. Our wedding is over and time to just "be" as I'm very tired.

I have never heard of Bittersweet...maybe it's not grown here in BC Canada..or I'm just "dumb" LOL.

Well, I've learned something new today. LOL.

Blessings,
Connie

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

I've never seen bittersweet around here but a friend sent me some through the mail and I just love it!

Tammy

Windows of My Heart said...

I spent some time today looking at other sites in the blogworld and came upon yours. I love your photos, recipes and best of all, your faith. I grabbed your button. I will be back.

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details