Sunday, October 23, 2016

Pray For America and Be Nice~



The news said over the weekend (not sure I believe much of what they say at this point) that this election has caused severe stress and anxiety. It has divided family and friends. I suppose it is so by watching social media. If I were honest it truly has caused me some worry and concern~ I have even needed to repent of my own anger. This election just has me angry at the whole mess.

Maybe that is a good thing. Maybe we Christians need to be awakened from our slumbering state and spend more time begging God for His mercy and grace on our country.

When I pulled up to church yesterday this is what I read~ Pray for America and Be Nice.   Amen, and Amen! We should be spending all the time we can on our knees. Prayer is the best defense to the hot mess our country currently finds herself.  The be nice part is becoming harder and harder for me. Just keeping it real here. I am still so angry that in our day and age this is the best we can come up with~  somebody say it isn't so.

An unknown poet wrote ~ 
" A careless word may kindle strife;
 a cruel word may wreck a life. 
A bitter word may hate instill;
 a brutal word may smite and kill.
 A gracious word may smooth the way: 
a joyous word may light the day.
 A timely word may lessen stress; 
a loving word may heal and bless."


We all learned this in kindergarten but somewhere along the way we seem to lose our compass especially at election time. God ~ forgive us all. Starting at the top! If nothing more than this lesson we are learning maybe this election can remind us that once words leave our mouths they can never be taken back and all the "I'm sorrys" in the  world can't fix it.

Yesterday our Pastor preached on The Anomaly of a Good King. He reminded us that 1 out of every 5 kings in Isreal in the Bible were good rulers. Are you with me? It gave me a little hope. The message was on King Josiah and what makes a good leader. King Josiah was only 8 years old when he became king. Yet~ he was a great king because his main priority was focusing on God.  The outline below is from our service from Dr. Monty Shinkle.


  • Good leaders are rare. (II Chronicles 34)
  • Good leaders surround themselves with good people. 
  • Good leaders do what is right in the sight of the Lord. (II Chronicles 34:2)
  • Good leaders respect and respond to the Word of God. (II Chronicles 34:18,19)
  • Good leaders are consistent in private and public. (II Chronicles 34:31)
  • Good leaders finish what they start. (II Chronicles  34:33)
  • Good leaders may not ultimately change hearts and people . ( II Chronicles 34:33)



 Let's vow to use our words to be nice. I am going to ask God to help me throughout the rest of this election to just pray and be nice. Care to join me ?


Psalm 39:1

 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me

2 comments:

Down On The Farm said...

I agree with ALL you said. People are vicious out there. I know who I'm voting for, but I'm not really happy about it. I too can't imagine these two are the best America has. But we MUST be nice and civil. It is OK to disagree. We can still treat each other with respect!!

Betsy said...

I agree wholeheartedly with every word you and Down on the Farm have said, I have no need to add anything.
BLessings,
Betsy

My Friends~My Followers

Pages

Cookies~

We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media

features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about

your use of our site with our social media, advertising

and analytics partners. See details